Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Effective E-mail Marketing

I was recently contacted  about the remarkable click through rate I have on the newsletters I create. The person I talked to asked me what I did "differently" that worked.
 
Honestly, I had to think about it. I did my first e-mail newsletter almost two decades ago, when the whole idea was new and just having a newsletter was enough to get me readers. I've kept at it through the whole time I was at Whitlock, at TGS. And when I launched my own company, I began again.
 
Why? Because they seem to be a low investment - high yeild way to market. Consistently, after sending out a newsletter, I get calls and e-mails from clients and I get work. That's a twenty year pattern I can't ignore.I'll be honest, I just thought that was the way it worked.
 
But since I got the call from My Emma, I did some checking. That is NOT the way it works these days. In fact, e-mail newsletters often seem to get lost in the blitz that assalts our e-mail mailboxes every day. So how do you break the mold?
 
Here is how I do it.
 
There are tons of articles and web pages on making a good e-mail newsletter. Most of them are selling something. There's good information in them. All I can tell you about this list is that it's worked consistently for 20 years, through all kinds of changes in technology. So I think it's pretty reliable.
 
Make it Useful
 
Too many e-mail newsletters are basically direct mail for e-mail. Electronic advertisements. That will likely get you noticed if your company is well known. But if you want people to read your e-mail time and time again, you had better have something practical that people can use in each issue. Do that, and they will "tune in" and read. Don't and your well crafted newsletter ends up in the spam filter. 
 
If your readership aleady knows you and has your products, then useful can be notes on how to use your product to do something. If your readership are people you want to sell your product to, then consider some more generic information. Make your advertising soft sell, weaved into the message, not the message itself.
 
Make it Brief. Give them resources
 
I could write or talk on almost any topic in our industry for ages. I can spout statistics, tell you stories, lay out historic trends and tales. That works great in a stategy or brainstorming session. there, you want that kind of depth. But in a newsletter, you want to make your point, back it up quickly, and leave them wanting more (from you of course.).
 
I give clients and readers links to things I think will help THEM. At times that includes things that advertise my own (or my clients') products and services. At times it's to articles that I think will help them that have nothing to do with Quarry House.  Remember, you want to make your newsletter valuable. You want to be read, to be seen as the guy who helps them, so, when they REALLY need your help, you are who they think of first.
 
The power of a good headline.
 
This is one of my best secrets. I feel kinda dumb giving it away. But here goes: Whatever you do, don't just have the subject line say "Newsletter from Your Company". Trust me, they get dozens of that kind of headline every day.
 
Instead, tell them what you are offering them, as well as who it's from. That gives them TWO reasons to read your newsletter.  Check out the headine on this newsletter and you'll immediately get the idea.  I didn't learn this until a few years ago, and when I did, I did two test mailings, one with a simple "Newsletter from..." headline, and one with a more complete headline. The more complete headline got over 70% more opens. Don't have to tell me twice.
 
Be consistent
 
Seems obvious, but for some companies, newsletters are an afterthought and often get tossed from person to person to do them.  What you want though, is a consistent style, consistent voice, consistent time of month (or week) you send them. Remember, rule one of marketing is that repitition works. So make it work for you.
 
It's work
 
E-mail marketing is a high return vehicle, when looked at over a year's time, But don't kind yourself, it's work. You need consistently good writing, a winning format, solid content, and it takes time and quality work to work. If you are not willing to invest a person to focus on this, or hire a company like Quarry House (there's my blatant self promotion for this issue), to do yours, then you might be wasting your time. But if you DO make that investment, it works, with a high return on your investment, marketing wise. If you want to know more, drop me a line or give me a call and I'll talk your ear off, and help you succeed.
 
But even if we don't talk, I hope this helps you do what we do - sell.
 
Take care,
 
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment